Name:
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Rome and Cincinnati





In 1931, the fascist government of Benito Mussolini in Italy gave as a gift to Cincinnati this sculpture of the Capitoline wolf. Legend has it that this wolf raised the abandoned brothers, Romulus and Remus, and that Romulus went on to found Rome, the Eternal City. Legend about Cincinnati is that, like Rome, it is built on seven hills. Of course, there are more than seven hills along the Ohio River where the Queen City sprawls but let's not allow the facts to get in the way of a good story. This is a beautiful little park that has a great view over the Ohio. I believe it is called International Friendship Park, is adjacent to large Eden Park, and also has a memorial to the First World War. If you look closely, you can see a river boat plying the Ohio.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

There's a feral cat colony who live on the hillside right about where you snapped that photo. Some local people come and feed them every day.

I tried to catch two little kittens there about 5- 6 years ago, to place with the shelter whom I volunteered at. Feral cats are a lost cause, but I hoped to "save" these kittens, at least.

A man jogging by started harassing me and wouldn't leave me alone. He told me he was a park board member and demanded I leave. The man, who I later found out to be a Hyde Park snob named Roger Ach, actually called the police on me.

The police came and cowtailed to Ach and told me that since the cats lived at the park, they are the park's and by proxy, the city's property. I told the officers that if the city owned the cats, they ought to follow their own humane center's advice and have them spayed and neutered.

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home