Name:
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Historic Bremen




While I was reviewing my blog which I have not posted to for a while, I realized that I had a lot more photos that might be of interest to friends and family. So, I'm going to resume posting. Today, I'm going to start with some photos of historic Bremen. Not far from Luenburg where I was living in Germany. It is an old Hanseatic city situated on the river Weser and is about 60 miles from the north sea. Among other reasons for its fame is that the Becks brewery is located here and there is a great Becks tavern located on the central square, or Maktplatz, downtown.

At top, you see the famous statue of Roland, from the medieval Song of Roland, that is a kind of symbol of the city. In the middle, the students and I are led by our guide through a cluster of old city government buildings with the city's 13th century Cathedral St. Petri (St. Peter) in the background. At the bottom, is the Maktplatz. If you look closely and blow up the photo you can probably see that the sign on the building says Becks am Makt. That is the Beck's bar where I sampled one or two.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home